Saturday, January 24, 2009

something crunchy

Yesterday we ran out of sugar. The kids keep complaining that there's no dessert. So I used the little I had left (with a little brown sugar added) to make cookies. I didn't notice the time I started, so by the time I got them in the oven I had to go pick the boy up from school. I handed the timer to Callah and told her to tell Dad that in 5 minutes the cookies would be ready.

30 mins later I came home and saw smoke rising from the oven the timer on the oven going wild. I yelled "STEVE!!!" Immediately he runs up the stairs into the kitchen and says sorry as I pulled the charcoal cookies from the oven.

So that attempt was out the window.

Today we decided to make rice krispie squares. Simple enough. And yet as I started to chew off the excess marshmallow from the spatula I noticed it was a bit crunchy. And that's when I noticed that the end of the spatula had been melted and broken off.

So we'll see what happens. And I think I should basically stop baking ANYTHING for the next few days just to be safe.