Sunday, June 29, 2008

Thoughts on a hot Sunday afternoon

This morning we went to a church that we've been to a couple of times already. The community there is awesome. Fellowship there is great. Kids programming is very good. But the pastor...well this morning I was trying to think of something that I'd rather be doing. I thought of being enclosed in a coffin full of leeches. I thought of the traditional "digging my eyes out with a spoon". There were a number of things I'd rather be doing at the moment when he was giving his sermon on 1 Corinthians 13: 4-5. I tried to focus and pay attention and then my mind would wander to my cool Canada Day toe nail paint job (striped red and white!) or wonder what the kids were doing downstairs or where was Keziah? Dare I say, luckily he's retiring in July. I pray that whoever God calls to that church will be a bit more excitable. I'm sure the pastor who's there now is a good guy and nice person to "hang with", but just not my cup of tea.

So in a round about way...I want to know when looking for a church what do you look for? Do you look for community and programming? Do you look for a good message? Do you look for younger people your own age? And if you don't find all of these in a church what then? Do you go start one of your own?? ha ha...TOTALLY kidding!

So this morning, feeling a little homesick, I went looking and only missed the preaching awesomeness of Randall more. Sigh. One day soon.

My sister is coming today for a weeks visit. This starts a month of visits and then it's our turn to hit other peoples homes. I'm completely excited. This will give us something to do. In talking with other spouses in the same situation, they seem to be doing well. Making friends and getting out. I didn't think it would be so difficult. I thought it would be easier. So I'll take visitors. Anyone who wants to come. We'll go out and do things. Hit the hot spots and maybe go exploring. I'm even excited for the possible in-law visit next week (never thought I'd say that in a million years).

And tomorrow is our 7 year anniversary. 7 years. Wow. From a newbie perspective that's pretty impressive. 3 of those years have been spent pregnant and nursing resulting in 3 adorable kids. We've moved 5 times and had over 9 jobs (combined). It's been fun and I wouldn't want to change any part of it for the world.

Well actually...there was that one time...