Thursday, October 06, 2005

Getting Rid of the "Cling"

Anyone have any idea how to get rid of a little cling? I wish I was talking about clothing! My daughter has a case of the "cling" and right now, I don't know how to handle that. People keep telling me to just hang in there, one day I will wish she still clung. But right now...I keep tripping over her!
Anyway I had a great 3 days without my kids in Canmore. Refreshing in a way and yet I came home more tired than when I left. Here's a cute story I rec'd in my e-mail today. Hope you enjoy it!

A mom was concerned about her kindergarten son walking
to school. He didn't want his mother to walk with him. She wanted to
give him the feeling that he had some independence but yet know
that he was safe.
So she had an idea of how to handle it.

She asked a neighbor, Mrs. Goodnest, if she would
please follow him to school in the mornings, staying at a distance, so he
probably wouldn't notice her.

Mrs. Goodnest said that since she was up early with
her toddler anyway, it would be a good way for them to get some exercise
as well, so she agreed.

The next school day, Mrs. Goodnest and her little
girl, Marcy, set out following behind Timmy as he walked to school with
another neighbor boy he knew. She did this for the whole week. As the boys
walked and chatted, kicking stones and twigs, Timmy's little friend noticed the
same lady was following them as she seemed to do every day all week.

Finally he said to Timmy, "Have you noticed that lady following us to
school all week? Do you know her?"

Timmy nonchalantly replied, "Yeah, I know who she is."

The friend said, "Well, who is she?"

"That's just Shirley Goodnest," Timmy replied, "and her daughter Marcy."

"Shirley Goodnest? Who the heck is she and why is she following us?"

"Well," Timmy explained, "every night my Mom makes me
say the 23rd Psalm with my prayers, 'cuz she worries about

me so much. And in the Psalm, it says, 'Shirley Goodnest and Marcy shall follow me all the days of my life', so I guess I'll just have to get used to it!"

*May "Shirley Goodnest" and "Marcy" be with you today,
and always.