Monday, December 11, 2006

Reid Tree Hunt 2006

Today we went on our annual Christmas Tree Hunt. I can still remember our first hunt, just Steve and I and the 2 dogs. Then came Matthias (who slept thru it in the car) and the 2 dogs, and I think the next year we had Callah and we were trying to get rid of a dog. The following year we went with Steve's brother (that was fun!), wife and son and our 2 kids and 1 dog. Which brings us to this year. Usually we trudge around the forest FOREVER looking for the perfect tree. But this year, it was pretty quick. Matthias kinda wandered off the path, so Steve followed. They hollered that they had found a "specimen" so Callah and I went to videotape their findings. It was okay, but it seemed to quick a find. So we kept going a little bit and viola! There it was covered in snow surrounded by tens of large pines and angels were singing (well no, not really...I think it was Callah crying 'cos she was stuck in the snow up to her armpits). Steve the mighty bushwacker, cut it down in 2 strokes and we were done. I think the whole adventure took about 1 1/2 hrs (travel time included). We found our way back to the van to celebrate with cheezies and leftover deer guts for Gus (which she found on her own).

After stopping at Peavey Mart to pick up a tree bag, we headed home to start the decorating. This year Steve and I just kinda stood back and watched as the kids decorated. If you come to see our tree you'll notice there's a nice line of ornaments around the 2-3 ft level. It's really cute and special "in it's own way". I think we'll move some around a bit after they go to bed tonite.
Finally to finish our festive day we ordered pizza. Another Reid family tradition to go with the tree hunt.

And so that was our day. I know it will be remembered and bring warm fuzzies to our hearts in later months as we look back. For now, I'll take the sparkle in the kids' eyes as they look at their colourful tree and a smile comes to their faces. There is nothing greater.

oh yeah....and I wanted to mention this or rather ask for opinions. Heartburn. IT'S KILLING ME!! It burns like crazy and I get it 2 or 3x a day and if I have to deal with this for the next 3 months I'm going to rip my throat out of my...well...throat! Help?