Thursday, September 13, 2007

WARNING...I'm having an emotional day!!

Yesterday I was laying in bed praying that my bladder would hold 'cos it felt cold in the house and my bed was warm, and I wasn't looking forward to jumping out of bed, when I heard the sound of footprints on our 'security' monitor (an old baby monitor we rigged up outside after all 4 of our tires were slashed last winter). I jumped out of bed and ran to the back door to look outside. Sure enough there was this guy walking around our back yard checking out our wheel barrow. He then went to the garage door, took the padlock off (it wasn't locked, but the garage door was) and then went to our van. I yelled for Steve. The guy tried all our doors, only to find them locked. Steve ran over, in his shorts, slipped on some shoes and a jacket and went outside to talk to the guy (and get our padlock back). Instead of running away, the guy reached into his jacket and lunged after Steve. I ran to phone the cops. Apparently the groundskeeper from the school across the street (Won-ska cultural school) saw the whole thing and was coming towards them too. She had also phoned the cops. I later found out that the guy had pulled a sock that had a rock tied into it out of his jacket and had swung that at Steve. I don't know what finally scared him off, but he got back on "his" mountain bike and biked off down the alley. Of course he was completely gone when the cops finally showed up. No harm was done to anyone or anything, a good thing considering we had just had our front windshield replaced 2 weeks ago. All that before 7 am yesterday.

Needless to say we had a rough night last night as well. Steve said he dreamt about a fight and getting beaten up. And every little noise I heard on the monitor made me wake up and listen closely. I hope tonite will be better.

Matthias is at school today. His 2nd full day (he had a 1/2 day on Tuesday). I had an early errand to run so I decided to drive by the school and check out how he was doing. It was before the first bell rang. I parked the van across the street and looked for my little man. I saw him ontop a slide trying to get back down the stair side. I thought that was odd. He's never done that before. I continued to watch as he came down and went over to 2 boys. They buddied up and kept turning away from him. Then they ran away from him. Matthias would catch up and the boys would run and hide from him. Matthias would loose them and stand by himself. He looked so lost. I started bawling and had to lock the door so I wouldn't jump out and go comfort my little boy. For the past 5 years I've tried so hard to keep him safe, and now he's stepped into the world, out of my grasp and there's nothing I can do. So I sat there and cried. 2 other boys then came up to him and one looked a bit bigger than Matthias. The bigger boy pushed him. Matthias ran away and the boys followed him and pushed him again. I wanted to go over to this kid and push him, see how he liked it. Tell him to leave my kid alone! Then the bell rang and they all ran to line up. I started the van and drove slowly away. When I got home I just hugged Steve and cried.

Tonite I'm going to a fundraiser for a fellow Mom. She's been coming to Mom's Morning Out for a few years now and she's a regular Mom's Nite Out-er. She has 2 girls (4 and 2 years old) and is currently pregnant with twins. She recently found out that one of these little babies has Trisomy 18 or Edwards Syndrome. It means that he has an extra 18th chromosome, which causes severe birth defects. His chance of survival is slim. There is a 50% chance of him surviving birth. If he makes it he has a 50% chance of surviving the first month and if he makes that he then has only a 5-10% chance of making it to his first birthday. The Mom is a stay-at-home mom and her hubby will be taking time off to be with her, in S'toon, while they go through this. So her sister-n-law is having this fundraiser. I'm sure it'll be an emotional evening.

And I just burnt my cookies.