Thursday, August 18, 2005

The In-laws

The very mention of the word sends shudders down my husbands and my back. I had no idea what a messed up family came with my husband when I married him. Of course it wasn't until after the actual event, that all the craziness started to happen. To this day, I wonder how he turned out as "normal" as he did. Of course, I can't really say anything nasty about my own parents. I will admit that my mom is a little excitable and controlling. But in contrast, his family always wins the "crazy" award.

I'm mentioning this b'cos this weekend we're heading to S'toon to visit his family. It was supposed to be a quick trip, up after church on Sunday and then home Monday afternoon. However, as "luck" would have it, he was able to get Sunday off, so we're heading up there tomorrow (gasp!!) till Monday. Good heavens...I don't think I'm going to make it.

To say that his mother and I don't get along, is an understatement. For some reason I can't figure out how to impress her. If I say I don't want tea (I'm REALLY not a big tea drinker), she takes it personally meaning somehow I don't like her. There's lots I could say, but what good would it do? I'm still going to have to go there tomorrow. I'll put up with it 'cos his step-sister has a horse, chickens and kittens. My son loves all of the above. For that reason it's always exciting to go to Grandma's acreage.

As I was sweating the inevitable, this verse came to mind, "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified b'cos of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. " Deuteronomy 31:6

And I just have to take a breathe, close my eyes and count to ten, and know that God will be with me!!