Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Sexual Intimacy

The funny thing about sexual intimacy is that it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with sex. Something I keep wishing it did. And alot of it (info that is). At our committee meeting after Mom's today we said it would've been funny to ask all the Mom's to raise a hand and see just who was all there to learn about "better" sex. We were guessing over half. So we're realizing there is a want to know, and we are trying to find something suitable. So "hang" in there. It shouldn't be "long" now. And if you have any ideas, drop us a line and let us know. We'd love the input.

So this morning was the first of 6 (yes six, I suck as a co-ordinator) session on sexual intimacy with Carolyn. I thought it was pretty good (again, even tho' I knew what she was talking about I was still hoping for sex...info that is) and I did learn some new stuff. So that's always a bonus. If you weren't able to be there in person, you can still check out what she said and what we're doing at Mom's here. Okay the link isn't completely done yet, so keep checking in and it should be up and running soon.

One of the things she mentioned and hearing her speak before, I know she's a fan of, is journalling. Carolyn refers to it as "journey"ing, which I think is pretty cool. I've always dappled (I'll say that 'cos I've tried to many times in the past, only to loose interest after a few months and gradually write in my journal less and less frequently) in journalling and this past weekend my Mom brought me a journal I had had in 1990 that I had left behind when I got married and moved out. After reading it I can see why, I was such a geek.

Here are a few of my favourite excerpts:
APRIL 14, 1990 Dear Diary: Today Kris, Amy, Jenny, Karen, Megan and me went to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle movie. It was awesome, totally narly.

SEPTEMBER 10, 1990 Dear Diary: Today I met my first enemy...Tea* (name has been changed). She's a mean, mean, mean old booby!! I found MY ROCK!!! (now this "rock" is referred to a few times more and I have no idea what'soever what I was talking about)

I know not really exciting. There isn't even a mention of a boy anywhere in there. But there are a few moody, depressing, really low-self-esteem entries and it's interesting to see how that progressed as the years went by to the point somewhere in 1994 where I would sit in a dark room listening to early Tea Party cd's and hating life. Sometimes when I re-read my journals it's like a bolt to the system to wake up and never let myself get like that again and try to help other teen girls from hitting those same depths.

Anyway, it'll be interesting to see where Carolyn goes from here. And maybe, just maybe we'll learn something about sex too.