Friday, September 15, 2006

Thinking

One of our youth, Cory, was rushed to the hospital Tuesday night with a collapsed lung. Steve told me later that he didn't even say good-bye to the kid fully expecting to see him the next day (he's still in I.C.U. and we're praying that he'll fully recover) . Of course we never thought this would happen. You never do. I think sometimes we take for granted the safety of ourselves and those we love, even tho' we never know what's going to happen. I always tell Steve that we can drive as safe as possible on the road, but all it takes is some idiot driver to hit you and it's over. I read somewhere once about this guy who refused to say "good-bye" to anyone, like it was a sort of final farewell. So instead he would say "see you later" or "so long for now". I thought that was pretty cool and for awhile took it up. I've also read that we should always say "i love you" to those we leave b'cos you just never know what might happen. On the flip side, it can get repetitive and be taken for slack, but how would you feel if you didn't and something happened?

I don't know. I hate to live my life always afraid of what might happen. I know I'm ready for it, whatever it is. But at the same time, I want to be able to see my children and their children and hopefully even their children. A good long life of happiness and laughter. I'm sure that's what everyone wants. We just don't all get it.

Or do we?