Friday, November 17, 2006

time to kill

I'm feeling suddenly bombarded again, only this time it's not sex, it's the environment. I know, I know, cry me a river this isn't something new. Yadda, yadda, yadda. True. But if it's so old, and everyone has heard the message a thousand times over, then why isn't stuff being done to help fix it?

My e-mail carrier Care2 is an environmentally friendly carrier (Steve always laughs 'cos he says "all e-mails are eco friendly." yeah...whatever) and they have all sorts of environmentally safe info and products all over their homepage. They also have quotes and today's quote is : "What's the use of a house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?" Henry David Thoreau. That's a bit drastic, but I can see the point. Then last night, I don't usually watch My Name Is Earl, but I managed to catch the latest episode and Christian Slater was a recovered pothead, hippy guy who lived in this hippy commune where they recycled and made everything from scratch and with their own 2 hands. (Speaking of which I once had the opportunity to do this on Canada's own hippy island also known as Hornby Island. They are home to Canada's biggest recycling depot and the friendliest bunch of people I've met in a while. They're homes are all made out of logs and driftwood from the ocean and everything is really unique. A definate place to check out if you make it out to the BC coast. You have to take a ferry to Vancouver Island then hop on another ferry to Denman Island and yet another ferry from Denman to Hornby. I don't recommend going between May and September as this is the tourist season and the population triples if not quadruples and can make finding a camp spot very tricky.) Anyway going back to what I was talking about. Then I saw an add for the Al Gore movie (which I REALLY want to see) An Inconvenient Truth. I really want my kids to be able to go out and see the Cathedral, Long Beach, the mountains, the east coast (this last one I have no idea what they're saying, but the pics are really nice), and all this is just in Canada. There are millions of other places I hope they'll one day be able to see, and not just them, but their children and their children's children. If we all do our own part and help in what little ways we can, then there's still hope. Oh great, now the tree-hugger in me is making her way forward.

Just something to think about.