Monday, April 02, 2007

emotional

The other night Steve and I watched Blood Diamond. It was a good show, but not in the "that was so cool, I want to watch it again" kind of good. It was more of an eye opening kind of good. The kind that make you think kind of good. Know what I mean? DiCaprio's accent drove me crazy (do Africans really talk like that? Saying "yuh" after every sentence??) but otherwise the acting was good. Djimon Hounsou was awesome as usual (I have yet to see a movie that he hasn't been great in). If you want to watch it skip to the next paragraph, if you have no intention keep reading. One of the things that hit me was the story line following the son. The rebels (and I could totally be wrong on who's who) kidnap his son and make him join their force, meaning make him kill his own people. I'm just amazed and shocked at how they can do this. How they can make children, no more than 10, fire machine guns and kill women, children their own age and babies? At one point in the movie they have these kids saying their new "names" to the general (or whoever) and one of the boys says "I am baby killer". I know it's only a movie, but I know that this stuff has really happened and is still happening in parts of the world. How can we be so messed up? What is wrong with humans? It reminded me of Hotel Rwanda. Another one of those good, makes you think kind of movies.

Anyway, I recommend it. Then while blog surfing I came across this on Peggy's blog. You'll need a kleenex (seriously) if you want to check it out. I've been getting a few of these in my e-mail and pictures of troops and stuff. This war is so beyond stupid. Again, what is wrong with humans?

In baby news, last night we had our first really rough night and I know I should be napping right now, but there's just so little time in the day to do stuff that I enjoy (one being catching up on the blogging world) and so here I am, sitting at the computer, half baked.

And finally, I know I haven't written about Mom's lately, but tomorrow is our final Marriage Talk. Wendy Demers will be speaking and she's been married for 25 years. These talks have been awesome so far and I'm sure this one will be no different. It's been good to hear how we all have our troubles and really, are no different than anyone else. Kinda comforting.

Oh yeah, in case you care, our house is a COMPLETE mess. That's what happens when your basement is leaking in opposite sides of the house and you decide to repaint a bedroom and install laminate in 2 bedrooms and the living room. All in one week!! Yeah!!