Tuesday, January 10, 2006

pasta cheese sauce, ice cream and peppers

I was so right the other day when I said I was a freakazoid. This morning at Moms I gave my Thought For The Day (which my secret goal is to place on here every Tuesday) and I literally freaked out. I was so nervous. I think I popped a vein. I started out holding my paper, but I couldn't read it I was shaking so bad. So then I placed it on the stand and shoved my hands in my pockets, to which my foot automatically started twitching for dear life. Like it honestly tried to disengage itself from the rest of my body! That was the longest 5 minutes of my life!!

Anyway, here it is:

The holidays are finally over. How was everyone's holiday? I hope good. If they were anything like mine, you need another "holiday" to get over the last holiday. It seems like I had family for like 3 weeks straight. Not always good and fun times, some tense and sickly (literally, my sister came up for New Years and was sick the whole 4 days she was here) but overall they were good.

There were the priceless "mastercard" moments like when my son Matthias opened a present that was a horse trailer pulled by a tonka truck (horse included) and the delighted little voice "Oh my goodness!! I loooove it!"

There was also the sickly sweetness of chocolate EVERYTHING in our house. My daughter knows exactly where we hide it and she'll go over to the cupboard, jump up and down and point. Like she needs more sugar.

But there's also that tenseness that seems to come from couples spending too much "holiday" time together. Know what I mean or am I completely alone here? It's like spending a week together reminds you of every little pet peeve that annoyed you when you first got married. The way he always leaves the seat up. The way he lounges on the couch, drinking beer and watching hockey while you do dishes, bath the kids, and pick up the toys. There's got to be a way that couples can have a week of holiday together and not want to suffocate their partner with a pillow half way thru.

the bible says in Colossians "12Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you." (Colossians 3:12-13)

"Clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience..." I know that's tough. I struggle with that all the time. Just last week my husband and I were suppossed to go on a date night and the night before he says to me "we can't go out tomorrow. I just remembered Canada is in the semi-final playing Finland."(World Cup of Hockey) I could have easily slaughtered him right then and there. Instead, I clenched my jaw, and went to bed. Later when he came in, I faked sleep as he tried to cuddle. Like you ladies have never done that??

The next day we were at each other like cats and dogs. Until we agreed to give each other an hour of time away. He went and played hockey. I went for coffee with a good book. That time away can be so refreshing. Even if it's only an hour or half an hour. During those stressful "holiday" times we can't forget to take care of ourselves and in turn care about those around us.


Compassion, kindness, gentleness and patience. We can do these things. It just takes practice, time and a little help from God.

So there you have it. Next week a pharmacist from Victoria Square pharmacy will be on hand to answer any and all questions you may have. As for today's title, tonite we had pasta with cheese and green pepper sauce. My daughter, being the ever graceful eater that she is, lost half of it in her bib. Later, when we were having ice cream and brownie, she creatively brought forth the noodles and cheese, mixed them all together and ate it! Look out Martha Stewart!!