Tuesday, February 14, 2006

My thoughts on other people's thoughts...

I haven't decided whether spending time with other couples is a good or bad thing. In many ways it can be seen as good, but there's always that little compare factor. Altho' I know I shouldn't be doing it, I do. I make note of little things and then I think about how my husband and I would handle the same situation. Lately I've been very happy and content with our relationship, but this past weekend we spent the night at a friends in Saskatoon. Maybe it's the fact that I've been sick for a few weeks now and our physical relationship has been anything but fruitful, but I became jealous of the little hugs, pats and kisses our friends were sharing with one another. I know lately in other blogs some of the topics have been about being content with what we have and looking to the future instead of dwelling on things of the past. You might think that you are content and happy, but all it takes is one little thing to put little doubts in our heads. Why is it so hard for our generation, our society to be happy and content with what we have and who we are? I remember this one Oprah episode from years back and she was talking about womens self esteems and how women in Africa are happy with their bodies. I don't remember the exact stats, but it was like 40-some % of Americans were happy with their bodies and 80-some % of Africans were. Is society really that influential that we can't be happy with who we are? I really like the new Dove campaign. I think it's awesome.
Anyway, so on the drive back to PA last night, I talked to my husband about these feelings. We talked about how we never were PDA (public display of affection) people and would we really want to be? After the hour plus drive, I felt immensely better about our relationship how it was and couldn't believe I was ever remotely jealous of our friends PDA.
I'm learning. Learning how to be content with myself as a mom and wife. How to be content with our "cute little home" and our summer "vacations" in our backyard. I think it's something that we could all get a lesson in once and awhile.