Monday, October 08, 2007

so...muh....

Dixie is up (and in fine form) and running again and I like what she said about it being hard to shut off the "this would be really good on my post if I write it like this" kind of attitude that seems to be running thru my mind almost every day. But then I sit down here and it's like my brain vomits, literally, I think it actually feels sick and so I wind up simply checking my e-mail and facebook and getting off. It's not that I feel compelled or a need to write, and usually the little snippets that I have, I don't think are really worth it. I don't know if that means I should go on hiatus for awhile or what. Maybe I'll just write down all my snippets and then one day just throw them all out there for you to read. That could be disturbing!

Anyway, for now I'll leave you with this...
Steve and I went to our pastor/spouse retreat last week (which by the way everyone survived - including the dog and the 2 cats my sister brought with her) and one of the speakers there was a pastor named Eugene Cho. He was a funny and smart little Korean man that I found myself actually wanting to wake up and listen to every morning. He spoke very frankly and down to earth and told alot of stories (which I love!). One of his stories was about Amy Grant and how at the time that she went secular he belonged to a group that went completely against her. They burnt her cd's, they boycotted everything to do with her. One day a friend of his offered him a free ticket to one of her shows, and he took it and went to her concert. Somewhere in the middle she stopped singing and gave sort of a testimony/ explanation/ reason for her jump into the secular world. She said she felt like God was calling her to be a light to the world, not just a light to the lighted.
I really liked that comment. I'm not sure why, I'd like to think it's not just a bitterness thought aimed at my M.I.L. (she would've thought this guy was on a straight in narrow right into the pits of hell!) but something that I want to think about for me.
And in the period of Thanksgiving he also told some stories of immigrants and how one time there were a group on a plane and they wound up wetting their pants 'cos they couldn't believe that there could possibly be toilets on an airplane. Or how he hosted a family (from Korea I think) and they were amazed that a little switch on the wall could turn lights off and on, which they tried repeatedly (he said that the first 5 minutes was cute but after that it got a little annoying). Think of all the things that we take for granted and should be thankful for.

So there you go. The photo above wasn't taken at the top, to our benefit we only had an hour (up and down), it was snowing...alot and windy and I will honestly fess up to nearly puking...but I didn't...and I am thankful for that.